WAVERLY, Va. (AP) – An Amtrak train is on its way to Boston again after it struck a vehicle in rural Virginia that police said attempted to drive around a crossing bar, destroying the car and injuring the driver.
Amtrak says the train did not derail and none of its 46 passengers was injured in the crash, which occurred around 6 a.m. Thursday in Waverly, a community about 50 miles southeast of Richmond.
Virginia State Police Sgt. Michelle Anaya said the driver of the vehicle, Untron Drew, was taken by med-flight to Richmond with injuries she said weren’t life threatening.
Amtrak spokeswoman Christina Leeds said Northeast Regional train 174 was traveling from Norfolk, Va., to Boston. She said it has left the crash scene is operating on a two-hour delay.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy