WAVERLY, Va. (AP) – An Amtrak train is on its way to Boston again after it struck a vehicle in rural Virginia that police said attempted to drive around a crossing bar, destroying the car and injuring the driver.
Amtrak says the train did not derail and none of its 46 passengers was injured in the crash, which occurred around 6 a.m. Thursday in Waverly, a community about 50 miles southeast of Richmond.
Virginia State Police Sgt. Michelle Anaya said the driver of the vehicle, Untron Drew, was taken by med-flight to Richmond with injuries she said weren’t life threatening.
Amtrak spokeswoman Christina Leeds said Northeast Regional train 174 was traveling from Norfolk, Va., to Boston. She said it has left the crash scene is operating on a two-hour delay.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development