ROSWELL, N.M. (AP) – The family of a New Mexico middle school girl shot by a fellow student on campus said the suspected shooter “is not a bad boy” and that people need to stop trying to find someone to blame.
Bert Sanders, the father of 13-year-old shooting victim Kendal, told reporters Monday he believes the boy’s family are “good people,” the Roswell Daily Record reports (
http://goo.gl/u4QIZg). He also said his daughter and the suspected shooter are friends.
Both went to Vacation Bible Study together and Kendal shares her father’s forgiving nature, he said. “She is not angry at (the suspected shooter). She thinks he made bad choices,” Bert Sanders told reporters.
Kendal and 12-year-old Nathaniel Tavarez were wounded when the young gunman entered the crowded Berrendo Middle School gym Jan. 14 and fired three times from a 20-gauge shotgun.
The seventh-grade suspect has been charged as a juvenile with three counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.
Under New Mexico law, the state can charge minors as adults only if they are at least 14. The Associated Press typically doesn’t identify juveniles accused of crimes.
Nathaniel Tavarez remained at a Lubbock, Texas, hospital Monday. A family member said the boy is in critical but stable condition and is now breathing on his own.
Bert Sanders said he believed no one is the blame for the shooting. “Not the teachers. Not the schools. The responsibility is ours. We as parents need to be more involved,” he said.
The injured girl’s mother, Nickie, told reporters gathered at a news conference Monday that her daughter has lost movement in one arm but her feeling and mobility should return.
The girl’s family expects she will be homeschooled for the rest of the year.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy