HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) – A former Alabama university professor who pleaded guilty in a deadly campus shooting is trying to appeal even though she waived that right earlier.
Court documents filed Monday show Amy Bishop has submitted notice that she intends to challenge the guilty verdict and her life sentence.
Bishop waived her right to appeal in a plea deal that resulted in prosecutors dropping a possible death penalty. So it’s unclear whether any challenge can move forward.
The three lawyers who filed the notice on Bishop’s behalf also told the judge they now want to leave the case.
A document says Bishop wants to receive a new, taxpayer-funded attorney.
Bishop admitted to opening fire during a meeting in 2010 at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. She was angry about being denied tenure.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development