HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) – A former Alabama university professor who pleaded guilty in a deadly campus shooting is trying to appeal even though she waived that right earlier.
Court documents filed Monday show Amy Bishop has submitted notice that she intends to challenge the guilty verdict and her life sentence.
Bishop waived her right to appeal in a plea deal that resulted in prosecutors dropping a possible death penalty. So it’s unclear whether any challenge can move forward.
The three lawyers who filed the notice on Bishop’s behalf also told the judge they now want to leave the case.
A document says Bishop wants to receive a new, taxpayer-funded attorney.
Bishop admitted to opening fire during a meeting in 2010 at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. She was angry about being denied tenure.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes