HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) – A former Alabama university professor who pleaded guilty in a deadly campus shooting is trying to appeal even though she waived that right earlier.
Court documents filed Monday show Amy Bishop has submitted notice that she intends to challenge the guilty verdict and her life sentence.
Bishop waived her right to appeal in a plea deal that resulted in prosecutors dropping a possible death penalty. So it’s unclear whether any challenge can move forward.
The three lawyers who filed the notice on Bishop’s behalf also told the judge they now want to leave the case.
A document says Bishop wants to receive a new, taxpayer-funded attorney.
Bishop admitted to opening fire during a meeting in 2010 at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. She was angry about being denied tenure.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever