EVANSTON, Ill. (AP) – The body of a Northwestern University student who was last seen leaving a weekend party has been found in a harbor near the school’s suburban Chicago campus.
A boater reported finding a body Thursday evening and searchers pulled 18-year-old sophomore Harsha Maddula of New Hyde Park, N.Y., from a harbor in Wilmette, a few hours later. Wilmette is another suburb near the campus.
Northwestern spokesman Alan Cubbage says Maddula was carrying his wallet with a university identification card and his cellphone. Police don’t suspect foul play.
“On behalf of Northwestern University, I extend our deepest sympathies to Harsha’s family and to his many friends at Northwestern. Our hearts and thoughts are with them,” University President Morton Schapiro said in a statement.
Maddula was last seen after midnight Saturday. A relative says he went to the party with several friends and disappeared after he and others left for another party.
Cubbage said police began focusing their search for Maddula at the harbor after a check of activity for his cellphone determined the last signal from it was in that area.
His parents, Prasad Maddula and Dhana Lakshmi Maddula, and other relatives arrived in Evanston on Monday to join the search for the pre-med engineering student, who had been recently diagnosed with diabetes.
Maddula’s parents, along with the student’s uncle, Sam Maddali, on Wednesday announced a $25,000 reward for information leading to the student’s whereabouts. They were standing at Wilmette Harbor, where their son’s body was found, when they made the announcement.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever