EVANSTON, Ill. (AP) – The body of a Northwestern University student who was last seen leaving a weekend party has been found in a harbor near the school’s suburban Chicago campus.
A boater reported finding a body Thursday evening and searchers pulled 18-year-old sophomore Harsha Maddula of New Hyde Park, N.Y., from a harbor in Wilmette, a few hours later. Wilmette is another suburb near the campus.
Northwestern spokesman Alan Cubbage says Maddula was carrying his wallet with a university identification card and his cellphone. Police don’t suspect foul play.
“On behalf of Northwestern University, I extend our deepest sympathies to Harsha’s family and to his many friends at Northwestern. Our hearts and thoughts are with them,” University President Morton Schapiro said in a statement.
Maddula was last seen after midnight Saturday. A relative says he went to the party with several friends and disappeared after he and others left for another party.
Cubbage said police began focusing their search for Maddula at the harbor after a check of activity for his cellphone determined the last signal from it was in that area.
His parents, Prasad Maddula and Dhana Lakshmi Maddula, and other relatives arrived in Evanston on Monday to join the search for the pre-med engineering student, who had been recently diagnosed with diabetes.
Maddula’s parents, along with the student’s uncle, Sam Maddali, on Wednesday announced a $25,000 reward for information leading to the student’s whereabouts. They were standing at Wilmette Harbor, where their son’s body was found, when they made the announcement.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development