LOGAN, Ohio (AP) – A southeast Ohio woman told authorities in a taped confession that her son accidentally strangled his estranged wife with a plastic zip tie before his parents helped him dump the body in a church septic tank two years ago.
Sandra Inman, 47, is serving prison time for her involvement in the death of 25-year-old Summer Inman. She told investigators in 2011 that she wanted to see her grandchildren more so she came up with the idea of forcing her daughter-in-law into the car in Logan so they could discuss the issue, according to a transcript of the interview unsealed Thursday.
Once Summer Inman was forced into the back seat, her wrists were bound with zip ties. Sandra Inman said her son, William “Will” Inman II, put a zip around his wife’s neck and accidentally strangled her as she struggled. Sandra Inman said they couldn’t find a knife or anything else in the car to cut off the zip.
“I know, I know positively, he didn’t do it on purpose,” Sandra Inman told investigators.
Afterward, Sandra Inman said it was her idea to dump the body in a septic tank behind a church before going elsewhere and vacuuming out the inside of the car. During the interview a week after the murder, she instructed investigators where they could find the body.
While the March 29, 2011, interview with Sandra Inman was continuing, officers at the church unbolted the septic tank lid and reported seeing Summer Inman’s leg sticking out in the tank.
“It’s the stupidest thing I ever thought of to do in my whole entire life,” Sandra Inman told investigators.
Sandra Inman pleaded guilty to murder and other charges last summer and was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. Her husband, William Inman, 48, was sentenced to life in prison without parole after a jury convicted him last month.
William Inman II, was convicted last year and also sentenced to life in prison without parole.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets