LOGAN, Ohio (AP) – A southeast Ohio woman told authorities in a taped confession that her son accidentally strangled his estranged wife with a plastic zip tie before his parents helped him dump the body in a church septic tank two years ago.
Sandra Inman, 47, is serving prison time for her involvement in the death of 25-year-old Summer Inman. She told investigators in 2011 that she wanted to see her grandchildren more so she came up with the idea of forcing her daughter-in-law into the car in Logan so they could discuss the issue, according to a transcript of the interview unsealed Thursday.
Once Summer Inman was forced into the back seat, her wrists were bound with zip ties. Sandra Inman said her son, William “Will” Inman II, put a zip around his wife’s neck and accidentally strangled her as she struggled. Sandra Inman said they couldn’t find a knife or anything else in the car to cut off the zip.
“I know, I know positively, he didn’t do it on purpose,” Sandra Inman told investigators.
Afterward, Sandra Inman said it was her idea to dump the body in a septic tank behind a church before going elsewhere and vacuuming out the inside of the car. During the interview a week after the murder, she instructed investigators where they could find the body.
While the March 29, 2011, interview with Sandra Inman was continuing, officers at the church unbolted the septic tank lid and reported seeing Summer Inman’s leg sticking out in the tank.
“It’s the stupidest thing I ever thought of to do in my whole entire life,” Sandra Inman told investigators.
Sandra Inman pleaded guilty to murder and other charges last summer and was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. Her husband, William Inman, 48, was sentenced to life in prison without parole after a jury convicted him last month.
William Inman II, was convicted last year and also sentenced to life in prison without parole.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier