BOSTON (AP) – An inmate accused of wounding a deputy during an escape attempt at a Boston hospital is being held on $1 million bail.
Police says 36-year-old Raymond Wallace of Marblehead snatched a gun from one of two Middlesex County deputies escorting him for treatment Wednesday and shot the deputy in the leg. The other deputy shot Wallace in the chest.
Wallace was being held on armed robbery charges at the time. A prosecutor says the deputies removed Wallace’s handcuffs to allow him to use a restroom, where he managed to get out of his leg restraints as well.
Wallace was arraigned Tuesday on assault, escape and firearms charges in his bed at Massachusetts General Hospital. A not guilty plea was entered.
The wounded deputy is recovering.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night