ASPEN, Colo. (AP) – A preliminary report on the fatal private jet crash in Aspen confirms there were gusty winds at the time.
The National Transportation Safety Board report issued Thursday said there were winds of 19 knots with gusts up to 25 knots when the Canadair CL-600 was landing Jan. 5.
An aviation accident litigation specialist interviewed by the Aspen Daily News (
http://bit.ly/1avr25t) after the crash, Marc Moller, said the recommended maximum tail wind for such jets is 10 knots. Previous news reports cited radio traffic about the wind.
The plane was making its second landing when investigators say it briefly touched down on the runway before bouncing up and crashing.
Co-pilot Sergio Carranza Brabata was killed. Another crew member and a pilot who was a passenger were injured. All were from Mexico.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development