ASPEN, Colo. (AP) – A preliminary report on the fatal private jet crash in Aspen confirms there were gusty winds at the time.
The National Transportation Safety Board report issued Thursday said there were winds of 19 knots with gusts up to 25 knots when the Canadair CL-600 was landing Jan. 5.
An aviation accident litigation specialist interviewed by the Aspen Daily News (
http://bit.ly/1avr25t) after the crash, Marc Moller, said the recommended maximum tail wind for such jets is 10 knots. Previous news reports cited radio traffic about the wind.
The plane was making its second landing when investigators say it briefly touched down on the runway before bouncing up and crashing.
Co-pilot Sergio Carranza Brabata was killed. Another crew member and a pilot who was a passenger were injured. All were from Mexico.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered