ASPEN, Colo. (AP) – A preliminary report on the fatal private jet crash in Aspen confirms there were gusty winds at the time.
The National Transportation Safety Board report issued Thursday said there were winds of 19 knots with gusts up to 25 knots when the Canadair CL-600 was landing Jan. 5.
An aviation accident litigation specialist interviewed by the Aspen Daily News (
http://bit.ly/1avr25t) after the crash, Marc Moller, said the recommended maximum tail wind for such jets is 10 knots. Previous news reports cited radio traffic about the wind.
The plane was making its second landing when investigators say it briefly touched down on the runway before bouncing up and crashing.
Co-pilot Sergio Carranza Brabata was killed. Another crew member and a pilot who was a passenger were injured. All were from Mexico.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier