ASPEN, Colo. (AP) – A preliminary report on the fatal private jet crash in Aspen confirms there were gusty winds at the time.
The National Transportation Safety Board report issued Thursday said there were winds of 19 knots with gusts up to 25 knots when the Canadair CL-600 was landing Jan. 5.
An aviation accident litigation specialist interviewed by the Aspen Daily News (
http://bit.ly/1avr25t) after the crash, Marc Moller, said the recommended maximum tail wind for such jets is 10 knots. Previous news reports cited radio traffic about the wind.
The plane was making its second landing when investigators say it briefly touched down on the runway before bouncing up and crashing.
Co-pilot Sergio Carranza Brabata was killed. Another crew member and a pilot who was a passenger were injured. All were from Mexico.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night