DETROIT (AP) – The bill is growing for former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.
The government wants Kilpatrick to pay $195,000 for tax crimes while in office. That’s on top of $4.5 million in restitution to Detroit for other convictions from his corruption trial.
The tax figure was disclosed in a court filing Tuesday. Kilpatrick is serving a 28-year prison sentence for rigging contracts, taking bribes and other corrupt acts.
U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds will hold a hearing on restitution on Dec. 10. It could be Kilpatrick’s last appearance in Detroit unless his convictions are overturned on appeal.
He’s being held at a federal prison in Milan in southeastern Michigan but is seeking a transfer near family in Texas.
Kilpatrick also owes $854,000 to Detroit from an earlier conviction in state court.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them