DETROIT (AP) – The bill is growing for former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.
The government wants Kilpatrick to pay $195,000 for tax crimes while in office. That’s on top of $4.5 million in restitution to Detroit for other convictions from his corruption trial.
The tax figure was disclosed in a court filing Tuesday. Kilpatrick is serving a 28-year prison sentence for rigging contracts, taking bribes and other corrupt acts.
U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds will hold a hearing on restitution on Dec. 10. It could be Kilpatrick’s last appearance in Detroit unless his convictions are overturned on appeal.
He’s being held at a federal prison in Milan in southeastern Michigan but is seeking a transfer near family in Texas.
Kilpatrick also owes $854,000 to Detroit from an earlier conviction in state court.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof