DETROIT (AP) – The bill is growing for former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.
The government wants Kilpatrick to pay $195,000 for tax crimes while in office. That’s on top of $4.5 million in restitution to Detroit for other convictions from his corruption trial.
The tax figure was disclosed in a court filing Tuesday. Kilpatrick is serving a 28-year prison sentence for rigging contracts, taking bribes and other corrupt acts.
U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds will hold a hearing on restitution on Dec. 10. It could be Kilpatrick’s last appearance in Detroit unless his convictions are overturned on appeal.
He’s being held at a federal prison in Milan in southeastern Michigan but is seeking a transfer near family in Texas.
Kilpatrick also owes $854,000 to Detroit from an earlier conviction in state court.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl