FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) – The wife of convicted Ponzi schemer Scott Rothstein has been sentenced to 18 months in federal prison for trying to hide $1 million in jewelry from federal agents.
A Fort Lauderdale federal judge imposed the sentence Tuesday on 39-year-old Kim Rothstein. She had faced a maximum of five years behind bars, but prosecutors asked for leniency because of her cooperation. Her defense lawyer says Scott Rothstein bears some blame for his wife’s attempt to sell jewelry investigators sought to confiscate.
Kim Rothstein, her civil lawyer and a friend all pleaded guilty to conspiracy in trying to conceal the jewelry.
Scott Rothstein is serving a 50-year prison sentence for operating a $1.2 billion fraud involving investments in fake legal settlements. Kim Rothstein’s attorney says in court papers she has recently filed for divorce.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths