PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) – Authorities have identified a body brought down from Mount Hood as that of a missing climber who was preparing for a climb in Nepal.
Kinley Adams, of Salem, a 59-year-old dentist had been missing since June 22. It’s not yet known what went wrong on his climb.
The Clackamas County medical examiner began an initial examination Monday. The sheriff’s office says results may not be available for a few days.
Oregon Army National Guard helicopter crews spotted Adams’ body Saturday at about 8,400 feet near the top of Sandy Glacier.
A “very difficult and technical mission” on the part of search and rescue teams ended about 6 p.m. Sunday when the body was brought down, the Clackamas County sheriff’s office said Monday.
Adams made some of the greatest climbs of the West, including Mount McKinley, Mount Rainier, Smith Rock and Yosemite’s famous Half Dome and El Capitan, The Oregonian newspaper (
Several times he climbed Mount Hood, whose summit is 11,239 feet. When he died, he was training to climb Ama Dablam, a 22,349-foot peak near Mount Everest.
Friends and family members said he spent most of his life in Salem, provided free dental care for children and played violin in the Salem Pops Orchestra.
Two years ago, Adams and his wife, Lorraine, traveled to Mozambique to provide dental care for children and families.
He was a runner at a younger age, and he rode his bicycle to work every day, said Carol Jones, Adams’ longtime friend and former office manager.
The Rev. Mark Hanke of Salem’s First Baptist Church said he and Adams had recently begun planning a 100-mile bike ride to the ocean.
“He’s one of those incredible servants,” Hanke said. “He shows up and helps.”
His son, Brock Adams, said he had been climbing with his father since age 5, and he was a lifelong example of compassion and adventure: “He’s been a good father.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns