PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) – Authorities have identified a body brought down from Mount Hood as that of a missing climber who was preparing for a climb in Nepal.
Kinley Adams, of Salem, a 59-year-old dentist had been missing since June 22. It’s not yet known what went wrong on his climb.
The Clackamas County medical examiner began an initial examination Monday. The sheriff’s office says results may not be available for a few days.
Oregon Army National Guard helicopter crews spotted Adams’ body Saturday at about 8,400 feet near the top of Sandy Glacier.
A “very difficult and technical mission” on the part of search and rescue teams ended about 6 p.m. Sunday when the body was brought down, the Clackamas County sheriff’s office said Monday.
Adams made some of the greatest climbs of the West, including Mount McKinley, Mount Rainier, Smith Rock and Yosemite’s famous Half Dome and El Capitan, The Oregonian newspaper (
Several times he climbed Mount Hood, whose summit is 11,239 feet. When he died, he was training to climb Ama Dablam, a 22,349-foot peak near Mount Everest.
Friends and family members said he spent most of his life in Salem, provided free dental care for children and played violin in the Salem Pops Orchestra.
Two years ago, Adams and his wife, Lorraine, traveled to Mozambique to provide dental care for children and families.
He was a runner at a younger age, and he rode his bicycle to work every day, said Carol Jones, Adams’ longtime friend and former office manager.
The Rev. Mark Hanke of Salem’s First Baptist Church said he and Adams had recently begun planning a 100-mile bike ride to the ocean.
“He’s one of those incredible servants,” Hanke said. “He shows up and helps.”
His son, Brock Adams, said he had been climbing with his father since age 5, and he was a lifelong example of compassion and adventure: “He’s been a good father.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips