(AP) – Federal officials say the American Indian College Fund will administer a scholarship program that is part of a $3.4 billion government settlement with Native American landowners.
The settlement led by the late Elouise Cobell of Browning, Mont., was finalized last fall. Besides paying hundreds of thousands of landowners for mismanaged royalties and consolidating fractionated, individually owned land parcels, the settlement sets aside up to $60 million for scholarships for Native American students.
The Interior Department named the Denver-based fund as the scholarship administrator Tuesday based on the plaintiffs’ recommendation and a panel’s evaluation.
The money the fund receives is to be spent on scholarships for vocational certifications and bachelor degrees from four-year colleges and universities.
Twenty percent of the scholarships will be earmarked for professional and doctoral degrees.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas