Share this story...
Latest News

NV health district: Luxor guests had Legionnaires’

Associated Press

LAS VEGAS (AP) – Health officials in Las Vegas say the bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease was found in water samples at the Luxor hotel-casino this month after a guest died of the form of pneumonia.

The Southern Nevada Health District said Monday that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported three cases of Luxor guests being diagnosed with the disease caused by Legionella bacteria.

District officials say the Las Vegas Strip resort’s water was tested after the first two cases were reported during the spring of last year, but no Legionella bacteria was detected. Those guests recovered.

Officials say the Luxor, owned by MGM Resorts International, immediately began a remediation process once the bacteria was found.

MGM Resorts spokesman Gordon Absher says treatment procedures include superheating and super-chlorination of the water system.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)