NEW YORK (AP) – A handyman who burned a 73-year-old woman to death in a New York City elevator has been sentenced to 50 years to life in prison.
Prosecutors say 48-year-old Jerome Isaac was sentenced Friday for killing Deloris Gillespie inside her Brooklyn apartment building days before Christmas in 2011.
Authorities say Isaac surprised Gillespie when the elevator doors opened, doused her with gasoline and set her on fire before throwing a firebomb in with her. He turned himself in a day later. The attack was captured on a security camera.
Police say Isaac told them he attacked Gillespie because he believed she owed him money.
Isaac pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in November. Prosecutors say he told probation officials conducting a mental health evaluation that he got orders from the devil.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.