NEW YORK (AP) – A handyman who burned a 73-year-old woman to death in a New York City elevator has been sentenced to 50 years to life in prison.
Prosecutors say 48-year-old Jerome Isaac was sentenced Friday for killing Deloris Gillespie inside her Brooklyn apartment building days before Christmas in 2011.
Authorities say Isaac surprised Gillespie when the elevator doors opened, doused her with gasoline and set her on fire before throwing a firebomb in with her. He turned himself in a day later. The attack was captured on a security camera.
Police say Isaac told them he attacked Gillespie because he believed she owed him money.
Isaac pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in November. Prosecutors say he told probation officials conducting a mental health evaluation that he got orders from the devil.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them