WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) – A hit man was sentenced Thursday to more than 17 years behind bars for killing a Florida millionaire and his mother under the direction of the millionaire’s wife.
Alejandro Garcia’s 210-month prison term was well under federal sentencing guidelines because he had cooperated with prosecutors almost from the moment of his arrest. His trial testimony last year helped put away Narcy Novack and her brother, Cristobal Veliz, on charges they arranged the 2009 killings.
Garcia admitted that he had helped kill Novack’s husband, Ben Novack Jr., in a suburban New York hotel where his travel company was managing an Amway convention. Novack, 53, was bashed with dumbbells in his bed and had his eyes sliced with a knife. Garcia also said he killed Bernice Novack, who was 86, by smashing her in the face with a plumber’s wrench at her Fort Lauderdale home.
Ben Novack’s father built the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami Beach.
Garcia’s attorney, Susanne Brody, asked Judge Kenneth Karas for a 15-year sentence, saying the information he provided investigators was “harrowing, extraordinary, frightening and detailed.”
Karas acknowledged that Garcia’s cooperation was important. Prosecutors said it led to six convictions in all and told the judge they supported a below-the-guidelines sentence. But Karas said it was also important “to acknowledge Mr. Garcia’s heinous criminal conduct.”
“Mr. Garcia bludgeoned to death an elderly lady,” the judge said. “and did the same, with blunt instruments and sharp instruments, to Mr. Novack.”
Garcia, 35, a Nicaraguan immigrant, faces deportation after his sentence is served.
Narcy Novack and her brother are serving life sentences after being convicted last year of orchestrating the killings. Prosecutors said Novack feared that her husband would divorce her and a prenuptial agreement would bar her from the multimillion-dollar family estate.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets