NEW ORLEANS (AP) – BP and the federal government have agreed that 34 million gallons of oil captured during the massive 2010 spill in the Gulf of Mexico can’t count toward civil penalties the oil giant faces.
The agreement is contained in a court filing Tuesday. It came in response to BP’s argument that workers either burned the collected oil or shipped it to shore before it could enter the Gulf waters and that it shouldn’t count in calculating the company’s Clean Water Act penalties. The penalties will be in the billions of dollars.
The first phase of a trial is scheduled to start Feb. 25. It is designed to determine the causes of BP’s well blowout and assign percentages of fault to the companies involved in the drilling project that went wrong.
The second phase will address efforts to stop the flow of oil from the well.
U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier noted Tuesday that neither party shall dispute the number of gallons collected “during Phase Two or later phases of this civil action.”
A criminal settlement with the Justice Department in November didn’t resolve the government’s civil claims against BP.
A team of scientists working for the government estimated that more than 200 million gallons of oil spewed from BP’s blown-out Macondo well from April to July 2010. That estimate included oil that was collected.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered