NEW ORLEANS (AP) – BP and the federal government have agreed that 34 million gallons of oil captured during the massive 2010 spill in the Gulf of Mexico can’t count toward civil penalties the oil giant faces.
The agreement is contained in a court filing Tuesday. It came in response to BP’s argument that workers either burned the collected oil or shipped it to shore before it could enter the Gulf waters and that it shouldn’t count in calculating the company’s Clean Water Act penalties. The penalties will be in the billions of dollars.
The first phase of a trial is scheduled to start Feb. 25. It is designed to determine the causes of BP’s well blowout and assign percentages of fault to the companies involved in the drilling project that went wrong.
The second phase will address efforts to stop the flow of oil from the well.
U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier noted Tuesday that neither party shall dispute the number of gallons collected “during Phase Two or later phases of this civil action.”
A criminal settlement with the Justice Department in November didn’t resolve the government’s civil claims against BP.
A team of scientists working for the government estimated that more than 200 million gallons of oil spewed from BP’s blown-out Macondo well from April to July 2010. That estimate included oil that was collected.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food