WASHINGTON (AP) – Lawyers for an Idaho man who pleaded guilty to firing at the White House in 2011 don’t want a “terrorism enhancement” to apply to his case.
Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez’ lawyers wrote in court filings Monday that the application of a “terrorism enhancement” is unconstitutional, though he accepted it as part of September his guilty plea. An enhancement increases the penalty for a charge in terrorism cases.
Lawyers also asked that Ortega-Hernandez be allowed to speak with the judge privately before his sentencing in March.
Federal sentencing guidelines recommend Ortega-Hernandez spend 24 to 27 1/2 years behind bars. But his lawyers compared his case to that of Joseph Reel, recently sentenced to nearly three years for rigging his Jeep to crash into a White House Secret Service guard booth.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths