HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) – Imprisoned documents leaker Chelsea Manning says she’ll go to court, if necessary, to receive treatment for gender identity disorder, also known as gender dysphoria.
The Private Manning Support Network published on its website Wednesday four letters signed by the Army private formerly known as Bradley Manning.
In one letter, Manning says defense attorney David Coombs is helping her seek treatment for gender dysphoria. The 25-year-old soldier says she wants to at least be allowed to live as a woman and receive hormone replacement therapy.
The military has said it does not provide treatment for gender dysphoria.
Manning is serving a 35-year sentence at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, for sending reams of classified information to the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks.
The Associated Press respects Manning’s wish to identify as a female.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food