WASHINGTON (AP) – Architect Frank Gehry is maintaining key elements of his design for a memorial honoring President Dwight D. Eisenhower near the National Mall in a revised concept presented Thursday, despite recent criticism from a federal arts panel and outside groups.
Gehry’s Los Angeles-based team presented revisions to the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts, but the changes were limited primarily to the landscape design, adding 74 trees to a planned memorial park.
Gehry has designed a park framed by large metal tapestries depicting the Kansas landscape of Eisenhower’s boyhood home. Statues of Ike as president and World War II general would stand at the center. The tapestries, though, have drawn some of the harshest criticism from Eisenhower’s family and others.
The Commission of Fine Arts, which oversees art and architecture in the nation’s capital, has praised Gehry’s “artistic vision of the memorial” and the “monumental stainless steel tapestries.” But the panel has questioned the design’s clarity and suggested some tapestries should be eliminated. In November, several members objected to the towering columns and two side tapestries in Gehry’s design.
Gehry made no changes in response, though, and did not attend Thursday’s meeting. Craig Webb of Gehry’s firm said the tapestries would evoke Eisenhower’s values and spirit of modesty by showing his Midwest roots, as well as unify the space at the urban memorial site.
“We are staying with the overall big ideas for the project,” he said.
Commissioners on Thursday generally favored the landscape design changes and didn’t comment further on Gehry’s tapestries or press for changes.
“I think the landscape, which is what we are here to talk about today, has moved along in a positive way,” said commission Chairman Earl A. Powell III, who is director of the National Gallery of Art.
The commission’s feedback on the memorial’s progress was positive overall, said Chris Cimko, a spokeswoman for the federal Eisenhower Memorial Commission.
“We look forward to continuing our discussion and refining the project on our way to final approval from the Commission of Fine Arts,” she said.
Others said the architect’s uncompromising stance on the design has cost the project support from the Eisenhower family and in Congress. In the most recent federal budget, Congress eliminated funding to build the memorial.
Bruce Cole, the newest member of the federal Eisenhower Memorial Commission and a critic of Gehry’s design, said there has been no discussion among commissioners on making changes.
“My feeling about this is that the larger issues are not trees,” he said, “but whether they will ever get enough appropriated money to build this thing.”
Follow Brett Zongker on Twitter at
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.