For The Associated Press
(AP) – Wet weather will diminish across the East Coast on Sunday as a low pressure system in eastern Canada lifts northeastward and away from the region. Flow around the system will continue producing lake effect rain showers across the southeastern shores of the Great Lakes, but shower activity will be light and widespread.
A cold front associated with the system will lift northeastward by mid-day, allowing for a few more showers and thunderstorms to develop over the far Northeast early in the day.As the system moves further away, it will continue pushing cool air in from central Canada. This will allow for chilly Fall weather to spread from the Upper Midwest and into the Ohio River Valley and Northeast.
High temperatures will remain in the 60s for these areas, while overnight lows will dip into the upper 20s for some of the Northern Tier states. Frost and freeze advisories will remain in effect for parts of the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes regions.
In the South, showers and thunderstorms will continue across southern Florida as a cold front lingers over the region. This obtains moisture from the eastern Gulf of Mexico, spreading more heavy rains and strong thunderstorms over southern Florida throughout the day.
Out West, a low pressure system moves eastward from the Pacific Northwest and into the Intermountain West on Sunday. This will push moisture in from the Pacific Ocean, triggering widespread showers and thunderstorms across the Intermountain West, Great Basin, and moving into the Northern Rockies. Breezy winds and cooler temperatures will accompany this system. Temperatures ranged Saturday in the lower 48 states from a morning low of 15 degrees at Hazen, N.D., to a high of 102 degrees at Imperial, Calif.
National Weather Service:
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl