LAURELVILLE, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio police chief says he ate cake left in his kitchen without realizing it was laced with cannabis oil.
Laurelville Chief Mike Berkemeier says he fell ill after eating the cake a couple of weeks ago and couldn't figure out what was wrong. He says he drove a few blocks to the police station, where medics took him for medical testing.
The Logan Daily News reports Berkemeier was hospitalized for more than a day. While there, a phone call with his daughter revealed the cake had been laced with an oil form of the psychoactive chemical component that causes a high from marijuana.
Berkemeier tells WBNS-TV one of his daughter's friends took the cake to his home, about 35 miles southeast of Columbus.
There's no word of criminal charges.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Tips to keep your child safe while trick-or-treating
- Wal-Mart tests matching prices with online rivals
- Travis Alexander's siblings give emotional statements at Jodi Arias penalty retrial
- Phoenix doctor understands flip side of 'right to try' measure
- Deaf couple overcomes obstacles to expand their business