LAURELVILLE, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio police chief says he ate cake left in his kitchen without realizing it was laced with cannabis oil.
Laurelville Chief Mike Berkemeier says he fell ill after eating the cake a couple of weeks ago and couldn't figure out what was wrong. He says he drove a few blocks to the police station, where medics took him for medical testing.
The Logan Daily News reports Berkemeier was hospitalized for more than a day. While there, a phone call with his daughter revealed the cake had been laced with an oil form of the psychoactive chemical component that causes a high from marijuana.
Berkemeier tells WBNS-TV one of his daughter's friends took the cake to his home, about 35 miles southeast of Columbus.
There's no word of criminal charges.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Phoenix woman gets air conditioning for first time in 18 years
- Phoenix drops initiative to install parking meters at popular trailheads
- Inmate accused of killing brother heard voices before allegedly killing cellmate
- Sky Harbor puts damper on Sun Devils' fireworks
- Big house, big price tag on 'Big Unit' Randy Johnson's house