PATTAYA, Thailand (AP) - For the second time in three years, a Thai couple has set a new record for the longest kiss, locking their lips for 58 hours, 35 minutes and 58 seconds in a Valentine's Day "kissathon."
Ekkachai and Laksana Tiranarat from Bangkok emerged victorious Thursday in what organizers said was the longest recorded smooch in history. The milestone must still be verified by officials from Guinness World Records.
The pair, who also won the annual contest in 2011, received a 100,000 baht ($3,300) cash prize and two diamond rings.
The event began Tuesday with nine couples. The contestants were not allowed to sit, rest or sleep. They also had to go to the bathroom together with their lips locked.
Last year's record, set by two Thai men, was about 50 1/2 hours.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Rare hail storm hits California's Huntington Beach
- Arizona House gives tentative OK to let guns in public buildings
- Arizona House gives tentative OK to push out medicinal pot growers
- Arizona Diamondbacks ranked No. 1 sports organization to work for
- Storm brings snowfall in Northern Arizona, rain in Phoenix