MOSCOW (AP) - A Russian judge has been fired after he caught 40 winks in court and then sentenced an outraged defendant to five years in prison.
Judge Yevgeny Makhno of Blagoveshchensk City Court in Russia's Far East was forced to resign Friday for obviously falling asleep several times while trying a businessman on charges of fraud.
The case became a national scandal after the defendant's lawyer posted several videos online of Makhno asleep in court. The videos were then shown on state television.
Makhno claimed that he was not sleeping, but listening with his eyes closed, the reports said.
But since a higher court decided not to punish him, Makhno only has to take an exam to be reinstated.
The defendant, however, will be given a new trial.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Civil suit filed after dogs die at Gilbert animal boarding facility
- Doug Ducey, Fred DuVal differences narrow in 2nd gubernatorial debate
- Rob Zombie headlines opening event for haunted fall attraction in Scottsdale
- 25-year-old man dies after fall on Phoenix's Camelback Mountain
- Gilbert high school students, alumni working to help security guard fix flooded home