SOUTHAMPTON, Mass. (AP) - The vandals that damaged a Massachusetts cemetery this week have pleaded "moo."
Police say a small herd of cows knocked over 40 American flags and veterans' bronze grave markers, then snacked on a few flower arrangements, at the Center Cemetery in Southampton on Monday.
Motorists called to report that the cows were loose. Police contacted the owner, Henry Wykowski, who caught and removed the cows from the cemetery.
Chief David Silvernail says the cows are an "ongoing problem," and his department has responded to complaints about the roaming bovines three or four times since last spring.
Cemetery Commission member Robert Floyd tells The Daily Hampshire Gazette ( http://bit.ly/WPQ4py) he plans on asking the farmer to pay for the damage once he comes up with an estimate.
Information from: Daily Hampshire Gazette (Northampton, Mass.), http://www.gazettenet.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Reports: Electrical fire prompts evacuation of downtown Phoenix hotel
- 2 arrested for invading Tucson-area home, impersonating officers
- Police searching for man who committed armed robbery in west Phoenix
- Feds appeal ruling in lawsuit by retired Arizona-based ATF agent
- Arizona police officer arrested in Nevada sex case