SAO PAULO (AP) - Guards thought there was something suspicious about a little white cat slipping through a prison gate in northeastern Brazil. A prison official says that when they caught the animal, they found a cellphone, drills, small saws and other contraband taped to its body.
Alagoas state prisons spokeswoman Cinthya Moreno says that the cat was caught New Year's Eve at the medium-security prison in the city of Arapiraca.
The O Estado de S. Paulo newspaper reported Saturday that all of the prison's 263 inmates are suspects in the smuggling attempt, though it says a prison spokesman said "It will be hard to discover who is responsible since the cat does not speak."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- How they compare: Austin, Phoenix two of the fastest-growing cities in the US
- Super Bowl Committee CEO: Issues with Glendale need to be resolved
- New ad promotes Phoenix tourism during the fall
- Frank Lloyd Wright school's future divides leaders
- Report: Arizona listed as 'toss-up' state in gubernatorial race