DENVER (AP) - Officials in Denver want people to know this is only a test.
The city is testing new outdoor warning sirens on Friday, and they're well aware of all the talk about the Mayan calendar and time running out for the world's population.
In announcing the drill, officials said they wanted to make sure that people knew that the wailing sirens didn't mean it was the end of the world.
A chorus of books and movies has sought to link the Mayan calendar to rumors of impending disasters ranging from black holes and solar storms to a change in the Earth's magnetic field.
Scientists say predictions of an impending apocalypse are a bunch of hogwash.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Man claims Tempe police guilty of racial profiling, files lawsuit against city
- No decision yet in Phoenix tree dispute
- APS parent was largest donor to federal campaigns in Arizona last cycle
- Jury handed Jerice Hunter's fate in Jhessye Shockley trial
- How much money did Arizonans spend on lottery tickets in 2014?