VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) - A man in Virginia Beach picked up an unusual jogging partner when an emu began following him.
Animal shelter supervisor Wayne Gilbert says Virginia Beach residents contacted the city after the emu showed up Thursday alongside the jogger in the Highgate Green neighborhood.
It turns out that the bird had merely drifted away from its home. Emus are legal to own in the area. Gilbert tells news media outlets that animal control officers located the bird, which was returned to its owner.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Astronaut Scott Kelly makes Time's '100 Most Influential People' list
- Phoenix police officer injured in shooting; suspect killed
- Effort to recall Arizona's Douglas seeks to turn Facebook likes into political power
- Saturday's Record Store Day may further boost growth of vinyl sales
- 20 percent of Valley-based office space remains vacant