VIENNA (AP) - Vienna's transport authority says a city bus driver checking a bag left behind by a passenger had the surprise of his life- (EURO)390,000 (more than $500,000) in neatly stacked 500-euro bills.
Transit authority spokeswoman Anna-Maria Reich says the driver handed the stash to police who tracked down the owner, an unidentified elderly woman.
But the driver has nothing to show for his honesty beyond praise from superiors. Weeks later, the owner has not contacted him to offer a reward.
The incident happened last month and Reich confirmed details first reported Thursday by several Austrian tabloids. It was unclear why the woman was carrying so much cash.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Civil suit filed after dogs die at Gilbert animal boarding facility
- Doug Ducey, Fred DuVal differences narrow in 2nd gubernatorial debate
- Rob Zombie headlines opening event for haunted fall attraction in Scottsdale
- 25-year-old man dies after fall on Phoenix's Camelback Mountain
- Gilbert high school students, alumni working to help security guard fix flooded home