LONDON (AP) - A man who climbed naked onto an equestrian statue in London's government district, ripped off its sword and bit it has been sentenced to 12 weeks in jail.
Dan Motrescu brought central London traffic to a standstill when he mounted the bronze statue of the 19th-century Duke of Cambridge on Nov. 23.
Police cordoned off Whitehall, a street that is home to several government departments, as Motrescu climbed up and down the statue, at one point balancing himself on the duke's head.
It took several hours for officers to talk him down.
Motrescu, a Ukrainian citizen of no fixed address, was convicted Tuesday of possession of an offensive weapon, criminal damage and a public order offense. A magistrate at Westminster Magistrates' Court sentenced him to 12 weeks in jail.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Arizona bill would allow prosecution for taking firearm from someone's hand
- Thicker than water: Arizona town of Williams confronts drought
- Desert tortoise's potential placement on endangered species list could affect development
- Banding together for a good cause: run fights children's cancer
- House OKs bill waiving tuition for Arizona National Guard