DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A shaggy brown sheep successfully dodged police, his handlers and a few cars while trotting through downtown Des Moines after escaping from his trailer.
But the ram's freedom only lasted about an hour Friday before he was cornered and tackled by about a half dozen of his pursuers.
The Navajo-Churro ram jumped from a trailer near the Iowa Capitol on Friday morning. He led police, Animal Rescue League officials and some Capitol workers on a chase.
Video from KCCI-TV shows the animal strolling along downtown sidewalks and streets, resembling a wooly ball of hair bouncing on tiny legs and picking up speed when someone gets too close.
Authorities say the ram was being taken from Creston to Cedar Rapids.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- How to safely watch Thursday's solar eclipse
- 1 dead in I-10 accident south of Phoenix, truck catches fire on I-17
- Wounded Warriors to begin 3-day bike ride through metro Phoenix
- Lower gas prices could mean economic impact down the road
- DEA launches text tip initiative to fight prescription drug activity