WASHINGTON, Pa. (AP) - Spectators who came to watch horses at a western Pennsylvania racetrack got a surprise this week when three deer got onto the course first and beat the horses to racing.
According to KDKA-TV ( http://cbsloc.al/VdzJuq), a race was about to begin Wednesday night at the Meadows Racetrack in Washington County when the deer jumped onto the track.
Race announcer Roger Huston didn't miss a beat. He began calling the race as it unfolded, saying things like: "As they race down the track, Bambi has the lead. Here comes Rudolph from the outside."
The deer ran fast but kept changing directions. At one point, they appeared headed to the paddock, where the horses were being held.
Several minutes into the show, the deer decided to leave the track to the horses.
Huston says Bambi won the race.
Information from: KDKA-TV, http://www.kdka.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Man dies after being shot in central Phoenix; suspect on the loose
- Northern Arizona hit with snow, rain; Phoenix awaits rain
- Goldwater report: Arizona has among most burdensome licensing requirements in US
- National survey sheds light on coffee consumption trends
- Victim shot, killed in burglary was beloved Phoenix pastor