MOSCOW (AP) - Most primary school classes get a goldfish to keep, a hamster or a turtle if they're lucky- but children from one village in southern Russia got to play with a lion cub.
Children in the Rostov region found the 5-month old cub on the steppe Wednesday and brought it to their teacher, who kept it in the school gym, police said Thursday.
While waiting for police, children petted and played with the cub, named Barsik. One boy even tried to ride it like a horse while it mewled and swiped at the air.
The cub had escaped from a car on the way to a zoo in Dagestan in the North Caucasus. It has now been removed from the school and placed in a local zoo.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Family of instructor killed in uzi accident create video directed at girl who shot him
- What was the world like when we last saw Surge?
- Keeping responders informed: Tempe rolls out Smart911 system
- Flight bound for Phoenix diverted to Oakland shortly after takeoff
- Arizona's Kyrsten Sinema among House members back early to work on ISIS issue