NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he wasn't about to take the bait: a question dealing with that quintessential junk food, Twinkies.
So when asked Friday at a news conference about Twinkies-maker Hostess shutting down, the target of many a fat joke begged off.
The governor quipped: "I know it! You people are the worst! This is a setup! I am not answering questions on Twinkies, no, no, no, no, no, no. It's bad that I even said the word `Twinkie' from behind this microphone."
Christie has tried for years to lose weight and often jokes about his caloric struggles. He once likened his weight loss efforts to "throwing a couple deck chairs off of the Titanic."
But Friday he said he wouldn't provide more fodder to comedians.
"You know," he said, "I'm on `Saturday Night Live' enough."
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Arizona political leaders' response to Obama's executive action regarding immigration
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen to light up Phoenix suburb at holiday display
- Open-air ice skating rinks to begin operation across Valley
- Report: Apple committed to Mesa, despite GT bankruptcy
- Arizona drivers paying $2.78 at the pumps as gas prices drop again