QUITO, Ecuador (AP) - The demand of dozens of citizens has been denied in the Ecuadorean city of Guayaquil: There will be no jackass running for the legislature.
At least 40 people paraded their candidate through the city's streets to the electoral council offices. Mr. Burro even wore a tie. But officials refused to even let them in the door on Thursday, even though backers had dummied up a mock voter registration card showing the candidate's photo superimposed on a man wearing a business suit.
Donkey backer Daniel Molina told local television stations the goal was to call voters' attention to the seriousness of the February election, not to insult any party.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Tempe outdoes Tucson on list of best college towns
- Air Canada Rouge begins new Phoenix-Vancouver route
- Phoenix Suns feed hundreds of people in need
- Industry-funded study suggests almonds can help prevent heart damage in diabetics
- Supreme Court denies Gov. Jan Brewer's stay, Dreamers to get driver's licenses