JOHANNESBURG (AP) - Police in South Africa say they've arrested a 25-year-old man who swallowed 220 polished diamonds in an attempt to smuggle them out of the country.
Capt. Paul Ramaloko of the South African Police Service said investigators arrested the man Tuesday night as he waited in line at security at O.R. Tambo International Airport just outside of Johannesburg. Ramaloko said a scan of the man's body showed the diamonds, which later were recovered. He said the man had been on his way to Dubai.
Ramaloko said the diamonds are worth about $2.3 million. Authorities believe the man belongs to a smuggling ring, as another man was arrested in March attempting the same thing.
South Africa is one of the world's top diamond producers.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Deadly collision near Mammoth started by wrong-way driver
- Sunny forecast for Super Bowl after rainy start to Phoenix Open
- Court ruling allows drug lawsuits under consumer fraud law
- Board grants benefits for 2 Yarnell Hill victims' families
- Police looking to identify, locate 4 persons of interest in Phoenix homicide