SKOPJE, Macedonia (AP) - Several hundred spectators got an unexpected shock at a circus in Macedonia after a lion broke through a safety enclosure during a performance.
The incident occurred late Sunday in Kavadarci, a central town about 100 kilometers (60 miles) south of the capital Skopje.
The spectators fled in panic when the lion charged through metal fencing at the Hungarian circus Safari, according to circus officials and witnesses. Children were crying and some women even fainted, they said.
The lion was stopped using a tranquilizer gun, while two other lions used in the performance were caged by handlers.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- UA medical building ranks among the most beautiful science buildings
- Photo of Arizona woman with great-granddaughter goes viral
- Protesters march through downtown Phoenix, homeless shelter to close
- Gov. Ducey signs bill increasing cap for craft breweries
- Bill Montgomery's remarks to post-marijuana debate question draw boos