SKOPJE, Macedonia (AP) - Several hundred spectators got an unexpected shock at a circus in Macedonia after a lion broke through a safety enclosure during a performance.
The incident occurred late Sunday in Kavadarci, a central town about 100 kilometers (60 miles) south of the capital Skopje.
The spectators fled in panic when the lion charged through metal fencing at the Hungarian circus Safari, according to circus officials and witnesses. Children were crying and some women even fainted, they said.
The lion was stopped using a tranquilizer gun, while two other lions used in the performance were caged by handlers.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- 27-year-old man drowns in Tempe Town Lake
- Hundreds pay tribute to fallen soldiers in Phoenix on Memorial Day
- ASU nursing students to dispense free health care at Phoenix's Westward Ho
- California man dies while skydiving in Eloy, Arizona
- Memorial wall to be built at ASU campus for fallen Sun Devil soldiers