SKOPJE, Macedonia (AP) - Several hundred spectators got an unexpected shock at a circus in Macedonia after a lion broke through a safety enclosure during a performance.
The incident occurred late Sunday in Kavadarci, a central town about 100 kilometers (60 miles) south of the capital Skopje.
The spectators fled in panic when the lion charged through metal fencing at the Hungarian circus Safari, according to circus officials and witnesses. Children were crying and some women even fainted, they said.
The lion was stopped using a tranquilizer gun, while two other lions used in the performance were caged by handlers.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Arizona ranks as one of the lowest states for iPhone usage
- ASU professor offers class on the 'problem of whiteness'
- Arizona man loses Super Bowl credential after Facebook post
- Arizona Cardinals' Bidwill disputes claims of Glendale losing money on Super Bowl
- Woman arrested in Phoenix on charges of child molestation