BOSTON (AP) - A Massachusetts fisherman has caught a creepy-looking lobster that's colored to match Halloween.
The New England Aquarium says the 1-pound female lobster has an orange side and a black side, with the colors split perfectly down the middle.
Marine officials say such coloration is estimated to occur once in every 50 million lobsters.
The fisherman who caught the seasonally colored crustacean in a trap last week is from Beverly, a seaside community 20 miles northeast of Boston.
The rare lobster is known as a split. Aquarium officials said Wednesday splits have been caught in Maine, Rhode Island and Nova Scotia in the last 10 years.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Maricopa County clerk transfers to avoid issuing same-sex marriage licenses
- Hundreds take part in Phoenix 'apple crunch' for healthy food
- Grand Canyon University set to renovate Maryvale Municipal Golf Course
- Undead rising: Over 10,000 expected at Zombie Walk 6 in Phoenix
- DuVal calls Ducey 'most anti-public education candidate for governor in my lifetime'
Related Halloween Links
- The truth about Halloween candy
- 10 most unhealthy Halloween candies
- 6 'sexy' Halloween costume fails
- Deliciously disgusting Halloween treats
- Tips to avoid Halloween hazards
- 21 terrifying PG movies
- Tips to host a Halloween party on budget
- 11 bad classic horror film remakes
- 16 scary Halloween financial facts
- Tips, tricks for celebrating Halloween
- How to enjoy Halloween on a budget
- Crafts for Uncrafty: Gothic Halloween Wreath
- Be aware of non-permitted attractions