BOSTON (AP) - A Massachusetts fisherman has caught a creepy-looking lobster that's colored to match Halloween.
The New England Aquarium says the 1-pound female lobster has an orange side and a black side, with the colors split perfectly down the middle.
Marine officials say such coloration is estimated to occur once in every 50 million lobsters.
The fisherman who caught the seasonally colored crustacean in a trap last week is from Beverly, a seaside community 20 miles northeast of Boston.
The rare lobster is known as a split. Aquarium officials said Wednesday splits have been caught in Maine, Rhode Island and Nova Scotia in the last 10 years.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
Related Halloween Links
- KTAR's Fall Fun map
- AZ neighborhood upset by Halloween decor
- Foster: Be afraid on Halloween? Why?
- The truth about Halloween candy
- 'Zombies' swarm Tokyo Tower
- Woman: Parents should monitor kids' candy
- 6 'sexy' Halloween costume fails
- Tips to avoid Halloween hazards
- 21 terrifying PG movies
- 13 best celeb Halloween costumes
- Deals: Save money during Halloween week
- You've made it when you're a costume
- 11 bad classic horror film remakes
- 16 scary Halloween financial facts
- Deliciously disgusting Halloween treats
- 10 most unhealthy Halloween candies
- Evolution of horror movies: Why less is more
- Arizona man wins $25K for costume
- Tips to host a Halloween party on budget
- Tips, tricks for celebrating Halloween
- How to enjoy Halloween on a budget
- Crafts for Uncrafty: Gothic Halloween Wreath
- Be aware of non-permitted attractions