THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - A major cocaine seizure in Europe has turned out to be good news for the animals at Rotterdam's zoo.
The drugs were hidden among boxes of bananas, and the fruit was later donated to the monkeys and other creatures at the Blijdorp zoo.
Dutch prosecutors said Friday more than eight tons of cocaine was hidden among the bananas on a ship from Ecuador. The drugs were seized Monday in the Belgian port of Antwerp, while the bananas were allowed to continue on to Rotterdam- the shipment's final destination. Dutch police arrested a Belgian truck driver and four Dutch men on Tuesday.
Dutch authorities say the seizure is the biggest ever in the Netherlands or Belgium.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Former President Bill Clinton headlines event for Fred DuVal
- Mold scare sends suburban Phoenix students to another site for classes
- Get the galoshes: Arizona waits for more rain
- One Direction's Arizona show brings to mind other number-named bands
- Train derails south of Phoenix, no injuries, no spills