PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - Drivers may have gotten a chuckle out of an electronic message board in Maine warning of zombies, but city officials were not amused.
The sign at a Portland road construction site was changed by a hacker to read "Warning Zombies Ahead!" on Wednesday morning. It originally read "Night work 8 pm-6 am. Expect delays."
City spokeswoman Nicole Clegg says the signs are a safety precaution and changing it could have led to driver distraction.
She tells The Portland Press Herald ( http://bit.ly/SSDZ51) tampering with a safety device is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.
She says it's not clear who changed the sign, but it's not the first time it has happened.
Information from: Portland Press Herald, http://www.pressherald.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Arizona Gov. Ducey wants to reduce, consolidate state airplane fleet
- Trial set for ex-Bullhead City police sergeant in sex assault case
- Couple arrested in fatal San Tan Valley collision
- See the best views in Phoenix without leaving your apartment
- Study finds low salary, poor quality of life impacting Phoenix job market