PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - Drivers may have gotten a chuckle out of an electronic message board in Maine warning of zombies, but city officials were not amused.
The sign at a Portland road construction site was changed by a hacker to read "Warning Zombies Ahead!" on Wednesday morning. It originally read "Night work 8 pm-6 am. Expect delays."
City spokeswoman Nicole Clegg says the signs are a safety precaution and changing it could have led to driver distraction.
She tells The Portland Press Herald ( http://bit.ly/SSDZ51) tampering with a safety device is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.
She says it's not clear who changed the sign, but it's not the first time it has happened.
Information from: Portland Press Herald, http://www.pressherald.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Rare hail storm hits California's Huntington Beach
- Arizona House gives tentative OK to let guns in public buildings
- Arizona House gives tentative OK to push out medicinal pot growers
- Arizona Diamondbacks ranked No. 1 sports organization to work for
- Storm brings snowfall in Northern Arizona, rain in Phoenix