HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (AP) - A grower from Oregon is the winner of this year's Half Moon Bay giant pumpkin contest with a gourd weighing in at 1,775 pounds.
Forty-five-year-old Thad Starr from Pleasant Hill, Ore., set a contest record with his pumpkin Monday, beating last year's winner by 71 pounds.
Starr, who has won the contest twice before, said he plans to use the $10,650 in prize money to take his family to Disneyland.
His pumpkin will be on display this weekend at the Half Moon Bay Art and Pumpkin Festival.
The runner-up came in at 1,521 pounds. That pumpkin is also expected to be on display this weekend.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- How they compare: Austin, Phoenix two of the fastest-growing cities in the US
- Super Bowl Committee CEO: Issues with Glendale need to be resolved
- New ad promotes Phoenix tourism during the fall
- Frank Lloyd Wright school's future divides leaders
- Report: Arizona listed as 'toss-up' state in gubernatorial race