HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (AP) - A grower from Oregon is the winner of this year's Half Moon Bay giant pumpkin contest with a gourd weighing in at 1,775 pounds.
Forty-five-year-old Thad Starr from Pleasant Hill, Ore., set a contest record with his pumpkin Monday, beating last year's winner by 71 pounds.
Starr, who has won the contest twice before, said he plans to use the $10,650 in prize money to take his family to Disneyland.
His pumpkin will be on display this weekend at the Half Moon Bay Art and Pumpkin Festival.
The runner-up came in at 1,521 pounds. That pumpkin is also expected to be on display this weekend.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- When you can't make it home for Thanksgiving, it's time to throw a 'Friendsgiving'
- Man shot dead at Phoenix car wash
- Objects thrown at Tucson mosque lead to evictions from UA student-concentrated apartments
- Travel guide lists Flagstaff as one of America's best college towns
- Suspect arrested in deadly crash into Phoenix assisted care home