CHICAGO (AP) - A joke by the satirical newspaper The Onion appears to have gotten lost in translation.
An Iranian news agency has picked up as fact a story from the paper about a supposed survey showing a majority of white Americans would rather vote for Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (ah-muh-DEE'-neh-zhahd) than President Barack Obama. The only trouble is it was made up, like everything in the just-for-laughs newspaper, which is headquartered in the comedic capital Chicago.
The English-language service of Iran's semiofficial Fars news agency republished the story Friday, several days after it appeared in The Onion.
The Iranian version is copied word-for-word from the original. It leaves out only The Onion's description of Ahmadinejad as "a man who has repeatedly denied the Holocaust and has had numerous political prisoners executed."
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Camera coverage denied in Bullhead City kidnapping, homicide case
- 32 light poles in Tempe stripped of copper wiring; suspects sought
- Scottsdale woman accused of abusing her daughters
- Arizona's 2014 monsoon was record-setting wet
- Phoenix food bank receives nearly $1K from auction of Jodi Arias eyeglasses