BERLIN (AP) - A squirrel with olive oil? For police in northern Germany, that was a winning combination to free an animal trapped in a manhole cover.
Police spokeswoman Kathrin Feyerabend said Monday a woman on the outskirts of Hannover discovered the red squirrel Sunday after hearing its cries.
Its head was poking up above ground through a hole in a manhole cover, its body dangling beneath.
After unsuccessfully trying to push the head back through gently, police officers removed the cover and rubbed olive oil around the squirrel's neck.
Holding back its small tufted ears, they were able to successfully release it.
But Feyerabend says the happy ending was short lived- the squirrel died several hours later, likely from stress.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Familiar foe to challenge Joe Arpaio for Maricopa County sheriff job
- Highway officials target fall for full reopening of I-10 bridge site
- Celebrate National Chicken Wing Day at these Arizona restaurants
- ASU police roll out new look for patrol fleet
- Officials urge for parents to update kids' vaccinations as school begins