BERLIN (AP) - A squirrel with olive oil? For police in northern Germany, that was a winning combination to free an animal trapped in a manhole cover.
Police spokeswoman Kathrin Feyerabend said Monday a woman on the outskirts of Hannover discovered the red squirrel Sunday after hearing its cries.
Its head was poking up above ground through a hole in a manhole cover, its body dangling beneath.
After unsuccessfully trying to push the head back through gently, police officers removed the cover and rubbed olive oil around the squirrel's neck.
Holding back its small tufted ears, they were able to successfully release it.
But Feyerabend says the happy ending was short lived- the squirrel died several hours later, likely from stress.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Phoenix suburb may start citing homeowners for underage drinking
- ASU, Arizona Western College to offer bachelor's degree programs in Yuma
- Study: Arizona ranks among average in nationwide well-being
- Marijuana researcher being denied opportunity to lecture at Phoenix VA
- French fry lovers invited to 'crawl' around Phoenix Thursday night