PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - An Oregon man has been arrested after airport authorities saw him trying to hide his gun in a planter box so he could retrieve it upon his return.
The Oregonian reports that 69-year-old Soren Muir Johnson of Eagle Point was arrested for investigation of reckless endangering.
Transportation Security Administration employees say he was told he couldn't carry his loaded weapon through a security checkpoint and that he should put it in his luggage instead.
They say that they watched as he disregarded that advice and instead dropped the .22-caliber pistol in an airport planter box on June 24.
Port of Portland spokesman Steve Johnson says police recovered the gun. Police say the man told them he hid the gun so he could retrieve it when he returned from his trip.
Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- What's hot in Arizona hospitality this year? Experts share 2015 trends
- Man dies after being shot in central Phoenix; suspect on the loose
- Northern Arizona hit with snow, rain; Phoenix awaits rain
- Goldwater report: Arizona has among most burdensome licensing requirements in US
- National survey sheds light on coffee consumption trends