PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - An Oregon man has been arrested after airport authorities saw him trying to hide his gun in a planter box so he could retrieve it upon his return.
The Oregonian reports that 69-year-old Soren Muir Johnson of Eagle Point was arrested for investigation of reckless endangering.
Transportation Security Administration employees say he was told he couldn't carry his loaded weapon through a security checkpoint and that he should put it in his luggage instead.
They say that they watched as he disregarded that advice and instead dropped the .22-caliber pistol in an airport planter box on June 24.
Port of Portland spokesman Steve Johnson says police recovered the gun. Police say the man told them he hid the gun so he could retrieve it when he returned from his trip.
Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- 27-year-old man drowns in Tempe Town Lake
- Hundreds pay tribute to fallen soldiers in Phoenix on Memorial Day
- ASU nursing students to dispense free health care at Phoenix's Westward Ho
- California man dies while skydiving in Eloy, Arizona
- Memorial wall to be built at ASU campus for fallen Sun Devil soldiers