MILFORD, Mass. (AP) - A Massachusetts man who pledged to make the last mortgage payment on his home with pennies has fulfilled that promise.
After warning his bank, Thomas Daigle dropped off about 62,000 pennies weighing 800 pounds in two boxes for the final payment on the Milford home he and his wife, Sandra, bought in 1977.
He tells The Milford Daily News ( http://bit.ly/NseYqK) he just wanted to make his last payment on April 24 "memorable."
He started saving his pennies when he moved in.
The optician says his wife laughed whenever he would pick up a penny he found on the ground and say it was going to the mortgage.
Daigle says he's just glad to have the coins out of his house.
Information from: The Milford (Mass.) Daily News, http://www.milforddailynews.com/
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Arizona State Lottery on verge of billion-dollar jackpot
- Ducey: Transition team making progress on filling staff positions
- 10 things Arizonans should be thankful for on Thanksgiving
- Celebrities eating stuffing, blowing out candles on Thanksgiving
- Arizona in middle of pack in list of America's booziest states