PHOENIX (AP) - Arizona transportation officials are getting the message out about dust storm safety- in precisely 17 syllables.
The Arizona Department of Transportation is encouraging Twitter users to tweet haikus around the theme safe driving in haboobs- severe dust storms that hit Phoenix in the summer.
An example, from Phoenix resident Mindy Lee, who goes by the Twitter handle mindyblee: "Haboobs blow through town / In one instant it is dark / Pull over and wait."
Transportation department spokesman Timothy Tait says the agency was looking for a creative way to engage residents in its "Pull Aside Stay Alive" campaign.
So far they've seen more than 30 entries and are re-tweeting some of the best ones.
The haiku challenge runs through Friday. Tweeters are asked to include the hashtag (hash)HaboobHaiku.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Former Phoenix Suns player Rex Chapman arrested for shoplifting in Scottsdale
- You Said: New measures won't discourage Arizona panhandlers
- Phoenix-area school placed on lockdown after gun threat
- Arizona judge denies cameras in accused killer's court date
- ASU student builds jetpack to help soldiers run faster