NEW YORK (AP) - Lovers of the unusual are getting another chance to impress their Valentines this year in New York City.
The Department of Environmental Protection is again offering Valentine's Day tours of the Newtown Creek sewage treatment plant in Brooklyn's Greenpoint section.
The DEP says it's offering three tours this year due to "overwhelming demand."
The 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. tours were quickly filled. So another was added at 11 a.m. Thursday.
Highlights include the plant's giant egg-shaped digesters, which break down noxious waste into harmless sludge and gas.
During last year's tour, the plant's gung-ho superintendent warned the visitors a digester egg was about to emit a foul odor. It didn't disappoint.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- New patrol cars will be part of Highway Patrol's DUI enforcement
- Veterans posting signs to help guard against PTSD on Fourth of July
- Everybody in! Sedona resort listed among amazing outdoor hotel pools
- 6 guards hurt breaking up fight in Arizona prison
- Bodies of missing Arizona couple found, man in custody