NEW YORK (AP) - Lovers of the unusual are getting another chance to impress their Valentines this year in New York City.
The Department of Environmental Protection is again offering Valentine's Day tours of the Newtown Creek sewage treatment plant in Brooklyn's Greenpoint section.
The DEP says it's offering three tours this year due to "overwhelming demand."
The 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. tours were quickly filled. So another was added at 11 a.m. Thursday.
Highlights include the plant's giant egg-shaped digesters, which break down noxious waste into harmless sludge and gas.
During last year's tour, the plant's gung-ho superintendent warned the visitors a digester egg was about to emit a foul odor. It didn't disappoint.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Electrical fire prompts evacuation of downtown Phoenix hotel
- 2 arrested for invading Tucson-area home, impersonating officers
- Police searching for man who committed armed robbery in west Phoenix
- Feds appeal ruling in lawsuit by retired Arizona-based ATF agent
- Arizona police officer arrested in Nevada sex case