LONDON (AP) - Here's one they weren't expecting- meat pies with no meat.
When officials in Iceland began hearing about horse meat being secreted into beef products around Europe, they decided to run tests to ensure the same thing was not happening in Iceland.
Icelandic meat inspector Kjartan Hreinsson says his team did not find any horse meat, but one brand of locally produced beef pie left it stumped. It contained no meat at all.
"That was the peculiar thing," Hreinsson said in a telephone interview Friday. "It was labeled as beef pie, so it should be beef pie."
Hreinsson said it appeared to be some kind of vegetable matter. He said the mystery pie was traced to a firm in western Iceland and the case had been handed to municipal authorities.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Latest Arizona Stories
- Motorcyclist dies while in Mohave County custody
- Search underway on Lake Pleasant for missing boater
- New study finds the Southwest might be facing 'megadrought'
- How they compare: Austin, Phoenix two of the fastest-growing cities in the US
- Super Bowl Committee CEO: Issues with Glendale need to be resolved