WASHINGTON (AP) - House Speaker John Boehner has ordered flags at the U.S. Capitol lowered because of the shootings at a Connecticut elementary school that claimed 26 victims, including 18 children.
In a tweet, the Ohio Republican said he issued the order "in tribute to families and victims" at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
The killings appeared to be the second deadliest school massacre in the country's history, with only the 2007 killings at Virginia Tech claiming more victims- 32 plus the gunman.
A law enforcement official said the gunman shot himself to death.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- President Obama speaks in Conn. (VIDEO)
- Obama signals action following shooting
- ATF: Gunman, mother visited shooting range
- Burials planned as school's future debated
- Victims: Lively youngsters, devoted adults
- School adviser: Gunman felt no pain
- Rifle in massacre similar to DC sniper
- Father of CT school gunman: We too ask why
- No rise in mass killings, but impact is huge
- How to talk to your kids about CT shooting
- Aunt: Gunman raised by good parents
- Newtown: A town shattered by tragedy
- Suspect killed mother at their home
- Ariz. schools learning from CT shooting
- Rob: Conn. tragedy leaves pain, questions
- Bruce: Conn. coverage not about me, but...
- Obama addresses nation after CT shooting
- Giffords' husband responds to shooting
- Student: Teacher saved life during shooting
- VIDEO: Student speaks after shooting
- Brother of student describes shooting scene
- Deadliest mass shootings around world