Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - More than three dozen students were hospitalized overnight for carbon monoxide poisoning after a furnace leaked at their Nashville private school, officials said Tuesday.

Drexel Preparatory Academy principal Cheryl Bowman said students began coming to the office Monday morning complaining of flu-like symptoms. Officials decided to cancel classes.

After students were sent home, the school got a call from Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital, saying several students had been brought in and showed high levels of carbon monoxide.

Hospital spokesman Craig Boerner said 49 students were eventually brought in by parents and 40 of them were admitted. There were no fatalities and all of the students were in stable medical condition.

"Dr. Donna Seger, who is the hospital toxicologist and also the medical director of the poison control center, said the treatment would be 23 hours of oxygen," Boerner said.

"The hospital advised parents to take their children to any hospital for treatment," he said.

Boerner said it was important for parents of Drexel students to have their children examined by doctors if they weren't feeling well because the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can mimic those of influenza.

Workers found a hole in a heating unit that serves the central part of the school and it was being repaired.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by combustion.


(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
share this story:
Attention KTAR.com Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus