UNITED NATIONS (AP) - Rwanda has denied U.N. experts' allegations that a Congolese rebel group is recruiting inside its borders, trying to regroup in violation of a peace agreement reached last month.
Deputy ambassador Oliver Nduhungirehe said Thursday that the experts' report given to the Security Council was just "recycling rumors."
The top U.N. envoy in Congo this month said there are "credible reports" that the M23 rebel group is recruiting fighters and resuming activities despite the peace agreement with the Congolese government following its military defeat.
U.N. experts have accused Rwanda's Tutsi-led government of backing the M23 and using it as a proxy force to secure access to eastern Congo's lucrative mining trade. Rwanda's government denies that.
The peace deal requires the M23 to transform itself into a political party.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)