Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close
carbon_monoxide_1_smaller.jpg
They hyperbaric chamber at Scottsdale Healthcare. It is used for treating carbon monoxide poisoning, among other uses. While inside it, a patient breathes 100 percent oxygen while under increased atmospheric pressure. (KTAR Photo/Corbin Carson)

As temperatures decrease across the state, carbon monoxide awareness must actually increase, especially during the winter months.

"It's an odorless gas, so people can actually just pass out and die because they never know they have been poisoned," said Dr. Dennis Wieland with Scottsdale Healthcare.

Anything that produces a flame can cause carbon monoxide, he added.

"Make sure you get your heaters checked at least once a year," Wieland said.

Scottsdale Healthcare has the largest hyperbaric chamber in the state, which painlessly treats carbon monoxide poisoning in a few hours.

share this story:
Attention KTAR.com Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus

World Class Arizona

  • Dignity Health

    World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.

Voice For A Better Arizona

  • Family in Focus

    KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.